My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://bethanytab.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Goodnight, Kansas City

At the end of today, I won't live in Kansas City anymore.
After my second bout with tears last night, Tim asked me how my heart was feeling. I thought about it for a second and told him it felt like scrambled eggs; all stirred up and half baked.
As excited as I am to start a new life in Chicago with my fiancee, it's going to be hard as all get out to drive away from this place.
I moved to Kansas City alone when I was 19. I wanted independence so bad I couldn't think straight. Being on my own in a new place made me feel like I was fully alive.

It was January and I came from Florida. I didn't even know how to drive in snow, but I figured it out the hard way--along with a lot of other things--and I've been making my own way here for four and a half years. That's 6 months shy of the longest stretch I've ever lived in one place for my whole life.

But now I want to be in a family again and I'm smitten by a good man who wants to love me till we're old, and that deal is too good to pass up...even though it means leaving my sweet little city.
photo cred: The Parsons Photographers
Yesterday I quit my job, said goodbye to my friends, and we packed my car. If we leave soon, we should be in Chicago by dinner time, and then I'll keep myself as busy as possible so I don't get sad.













2 comments:

  1. How sad and happy. Hooray for new beginnings! Let's celebrate in a week, and let's get a good hug in since I didn't get to hug you before you drove away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bethy I love that song. And I love you. I agree with Cari - it's a bittersweet day, my friend. Visit often.

    ReplyDelete