My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://bethanytab.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Joyeuse Anniversaire

Today is my half birthday.
Not a big deal to most people, but due to a (now) hilarious childhood experience, I remember it each year.
When I was growing up, I spent one birthday in the United States. I was 6, turning 7. My missionary parents were on furlough and we happend to be at my grandparent's house on March the 10th, my birthday. Major deal to me. I have 10 cousins, so they all came over and Mimi got me a cake and candles and balloons and gifts. Very American-girl thing to do and I relished feeling celebrated in the typical American way.

As I remember it, the lights were switched off and the candles were lit and my family was singing to me, when my little cousin started crying, because since she was born on September 10th, my birthday was her half birthday and no one cared about her enough to wish her "happy half-birthday" or get her a cake and presents, and she was miserable.

So, to remedy the situation, someone cut my cake in half, put some candles on it and we then sang "Happy Half Birthday" to her and she got some of my balloons. This totally rained on my little parade and I pouted for the rest of my birthday over not getting all the attention at my party.
Ha!

1 comment:

  1. YOUR BLOG!!

    I feel bad that it has taken me this long to comment. I promise it has to do with the fact that I was gone.

    Your half birthday story is amazing! haha I think I tried to calculate my half birthday once but couldn't figure out what it was. Because April doesn't have thirty one days. Or does that just mean that it would be May 1st? Tell me, expert!

    I hope to see you again, neato!

    ReplyDelete